Have you recently started or will be starting orthodontic treatment soon? Wondering how exactly to take care of your braces? Today, Durrett Orthodontics in Tampa, FL is providing some tips for caring for your braces:
When it comes to dental care with braces, it is important to clean carefully as your braces can easily trap debris, bacteria, and plaque. We recommend following these steps each time you practice at home dental care:
- Preparing to brush: Prior to brushing, remove any elastics or removable parts of your orthodontic braces.
- Brushing your braces: Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle, brush from the top of each wire down to the bottom of each wire. Be sure to brush gently and slowly, making sure to get any debris or plaque which may be stuck to your braces.
- Brushing your teeth: Again, hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and gently apply pressure while moving in a circular motion. We recommend cleaning each tooth individually to ensure you are completely and thoroughly cleaning each one.
- Flossing your teeth: We recommend investing in a WaterPik or similar device for flossing as it makes the entire process more effective and simple while undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Rinse your smile: Using mouthwash, thoroughly rinse your mouth and check for any signs of leftover debris.
Visit Our Tampa Orthodontist
Interested in improving the appearance, function, and health of your smile with orthodontic treatment in Tampa, FL? Schedule your appointment with Durrett Orthodontics today!