It is “Stress Awareness Month” and most of us in our day to day lives experience stress a couple times a day! Some causes of stress can be school, work, kids, traffic, etc. the list could go on.
But as we may already know stress is not healthy for your body or mind.
It can cause pain, sleep problems and even thinking or memory issues.
A common outcome of stress is bruxism, clenching or grinding your teeth.
Bruxism usually occurs while sleeping and once awake a person will feel pain or soreness in their jaw. Continuation of grinding your teeth can actually wear them down leading up to other issues down the line.
To minimize stress in your daily life try these stress relievers:
- Exercise, I know this doesn’t seem so exciting but it can also help with sleep!
- Reduce your caffeine intake, no you don’t have to give up coffee however try reducing the amount of cups you actually drink a day.
- Laugh, they say laughter is the best medicine! It actually relaxes your muscles and brings more oxygen to your organs, like your heart. Watch a funny show or movie. How about a trip to your local Improv?
- Just say no more often. Sometimes we just want to be able to please everybody but how about ourselves? Taking on too much can really shoot up our stress levels.
- Don’t procrastinate. We’ve all been there, pushing something off up until the very last minute, then we have more than one item to check off on our to-do list. We hope these tips have helped you in some way!